The Medical Assistant (MA) is a key member of the clinic team. He/she plays an important role to help ensure a positive patient experience and efficient clinic operations by assisting healthcare providers in the conduct of patient care. Examples include recording patient height, weight, vital signs, medical history, and current complaints; drawing blood; providing basic wound care and administering medications as directed by the physician. The MA also ensures examination rooms are prepared and ready for the healthcare provider, obtains authorization of release of medical records, maintains medical records, and assists in billing / coding / EMR documentation activities.
The Medical Assistant is a member of the PCMH team which includes Providers, Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses, Patient Access Representatives, Pharmacists, Case Managers, Integrated Behavioral Mental Health Providers, Disease Managers and Population Health. This team is aligned to provide health care at each member’s full scope of licensure or scope of practice.
1) Prepares patient for examination, including:
- Accurate medical intake including vital signs, height, weight, allergies (drug and food), past medical history, current complaint
- Completing electronic medical record documentation before patient is seen by primary care provider
- Assisting clinical staff in completing examination and procedures as instructed
- Obtaining laboratory samples and complete associated paperwork such as lab slips and other forms when needed
2) Performs directed procedures such as EKG, nebulizer treatments, ear irrigation, suture removal, wound dressings, PPD testing, HIV testing (if credentialed), venipuncture and other directed procedures in accordance with OSHA and CLIA guidelines
3) Administers medications under the supervision of the primary care provider; assist in the preparation of medications for patients as needed
4) Closes patient examination process by providing check out slips and required patient instructions
5) Prepares examination rooms and ensures rooms are stocked with needed supplies; maintains cleanliness of exam rooms and lab drawing area
6) Cleans and sterilizes instruments and disposes of contaminated supplies
7) Completes all relevant charting, documentation and follow-up. Fills out and maintains patient-related paperwork, including federal- and state-mandated forms, diagnostic records, and progress notes, documentation for PPD testing, pregnancy testing, labs and pap smears
8) Assists in the coordination of specialty clinics as required, including maintenance of exam rooms, supplies and clinic records
9) Tracks laboratory results and provides monthly numbers for required reports
10) Follows universal precautions to protect self and patients
11) Participates in all appropriate team meetings and required training sessions.
12) Participates in other clinical or administrative projects as assigned by the Clinic or Health Services Operations Directors
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Active MA or LPN license is required.
- CMA certification is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated understanding of medical terminology.
- Current Basic Life Support card through AHA or ARC is required.
- Experience working in a medical office setting with a variety of specialties.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Understanding of Athena EMR
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
Skill Requirements: (X = Required for job)
X Typing/computer keyboard
X Verbal communication
X Utilize computer software (specified above)
X Written communication
X Retrieve and compile information
X Public speaking/group presentations
X Maintain records/logs
X Research, analyze and interpret information
X Verify data and information
X Investigate, evaluate, recommend action
X Organize and prioritize information/tasks
Leadership and supervisory, managing people
X Operate office equipment
X Basic mathematical concepts (e.g. add, subtract)
X Advanced mathematical concepts (fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages, graphs)
X Abstract mathematical concepts (interpolation, inference, frequency, reliability, formulas, equations, statistics)
Physical Requirements: (X = Required for job)
X Sitting for extended periods
X Lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds various items
X Standing for extended periods
Lifting/carrying more than 20 pounds various items
X Extended periods viewing computer screen
X Repetitive Motions
Hazards: (X = Required for job)
X Normal office environment
X Electrical current
Toxic or caustic chemicals
Housekeeping and/or cleaning agents
Flammable, explosive gases
Proximity to moving mechanical parts